UAB Medicine is home to thousands of skilled, compassionate health-related professionals – also known as allied health professionals. Our team of highly-trained specialists, technicians and assistants work hand-in-hand supporting an unmatched medical team across all areas of patient care. They assist medical and nursing staff by providing a range of diagnostic, technical, and therapeutic services that are critical to the patients and families we serve.
With hundreds of different job titles and various potential career paths within allied health, this is one of the most exciting and quickly-evolving subsets with UAB Medicine. Health-related professions opportunities commonly require a practice license or certification.
The following are examples of health-related professions at UAB Medicine:
- Anesthesia Services: Anesthesia Technician, Special Procedures Technician
- Heart & Vascular Services: Electrophysiology Technologist, Cardiac Cath Technician, Vascular Interventional Radiology Technician
- Laboratory Services: Clinical Lab Assistant, Medical Technologist, Morgue Attendant, Histology Technician, Histocompatibility Lab Technologist
- Psychiatric Services: Substance Abuse Counselor, Psychiatric Assistant
- Radiation Oncology Services: Dosimetrist, Medical Physicist, Radiation Therapist ($10,000 Sign-On Bonus)
- Radiology Services: Radiology Attendant, CT Technologist, Radiologic Technologist, MRI Tech
- Rehabilitation Services: Rehab Attendant
- Respiratory Services: Respiratory Therapist, Respiratory Therapy Technician
- Social Services: Medical Social Worker, Psychiatric Social Worker
- Surgical Services: Perfusionist, Surgical Technologist, Lead Instrument Technician, Procurement Transplant Coordinator
- Ophthalmology: Ophthalmic Technicians, Ophthalmic Assistants and Ophthalmic Imaging Technicians (at UAB Callahan Eye)