Joining our team of pharmacy technicians empowers you to move medicine forward, build a lasting career, and develop leadership skills. Our team of approximately 150 pharmacists and 150 technicians work together to support pharmacy operations and serve a diverse patient population with compassion and clinical expertise.
For career technicians, you’ll challenge your skills at a highly respected, research-oriented academic medical center. For those wanting to gain exposure to the many opportunities in health care, working as a pharmacy technician is just the starting point for far-reaching career options. Either way, you’ll find the UAB Department of Pharmacy to be a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit workplace, where you form positive relationships with colleagues.
Teamwork is expected – and present – among pharmacists, technicians, nurses, physicians, and a host of other highly skilled health care professionals. After all, it takes a team to treat a patient. We work together to deliver safe and high-quality care, with each of us taking personal responsibility for identifying, resolving, and preventing drug-related problems in the patients we serve.
Pharmacy technicians are essential team members in every setting and assist the pharmacists in providing safe, timely, and compassionate patient care. In each area, technicians work collaboratively with pharmacists and support them in their daily activities. Every technician can participate in medication error prevention by reporting prevented and actual medication-related errors.
While most technicians work 40-hour weeks, we support work-life balance by offering various scheduling options to accommodate family life, activities, hobbies, and personal responsibilities.
We employ career technicians, health sciences graduates, current students, and those interested in gaining experience before pursuing their PharmD. No matter your ultimate career goals, being a pharmacy technician is a great place to start your health care journey.
- Working with the pharmacists in our large central pharmacy to make IV fluids, prepare IV syringes and oral liquids, pull medications for pending orders, manage inventory, fill the automated dispensing cabinets to meet patient needs, and package medications for unit doses.
- Assisting pharmacists in our decentralized pharmacy with the day-to-day responsibilities of serving over 50 patient care units and 900+ patient beds. This includes ensuring adequate IV fluids for patient requirements, maintaining inventory levels in satellite locations, recording the receipt of central pharmacy deliveries, and obtaining and delivering medications to nursing units.
- Helping pharmacists across our ambulatory practice, which includes multiple infusion clinics, four retail pharmacies and specialty pharmacy clinic services, and a home infusion pharmacy. We assist with medication compounding and dispensing, packaging and labeling prescriptions, inventory management, and providing excellent customer service and care to our patients.
The Ideal Candidate
- Adheres to high standards, performs quality work, and demonstrates attention to detail.
- Easily communicates and interacts with people of all backgrounds.
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment and is flexible enough to reprioritize and triage needs as daily demands change.
As a technician, you are encouraged to advance your career and realize your personal potential through higher education and ongoing training. Technicians can achieve pay increases through merit-based programs or certifications. We offer reimbursement for certification and registration renewals and provide free continuing pharmacy education (CPE) opportunities throughout the year.
Technicians also can expand their opportunities and knowledge by actively participating on interdisciplinary teams and task groups that are focused on hospital-wide issues and working to enhance patient care through quality, safety, satisfaction, and throughput improvements.
Join Our Nationally Ranked Team
UAB Medicine offers comprehensive benefit packages that complement our competitive pay, and include perks like 100% tuition assistance and a generous paid time off program.