Billing & Financial Services Information
We offer many options that you may qualify for to help fulfill your financial obligations, including discounts and payment plans. We will work with you to consider options that will best fit your needs. Please contact a customer service professional at (205) 801-9910 or toll free at (800) 388-7210 for any questions about your health care bill. Below are highlights regarding our Financial Assistance Program, and we encourage you to download and review the Financial Assistance Letter and Application, as well as our additional Billing & Financial Services information.
Providing health care for those in need
UAB Medicine is committed to providing financial assistance to persons who have health care needs and are uninsured, underinsured, ineligible for a government program, or otherwise unable to pay for medically necessary care based on their individual financial situations. Consistent with its mission to deliver compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care services and to serve those who are underserved, UAB Medicine strives to ensure that the financial capacity of people who need health care services does not prevent them from seeking or receiving care. UAB Medicine will provide, without discrimination, care of emergency medical conditions to individuals regardless of their eligibility for financial assistance or government assistance.
Guidelines for qualifying for financial assistance
- Financial assistance is available for medically necessary services. For more information on eligibility for financial assistance, review our Billing & Financial Services information and Financial Assistance Letter and Application
- A UAB representative will ask patients not covered by health insurance if they have the ability to pay and, if not, inform them of the Financial Assistance Program. All patients who express an interest in the Financial Assistance Program will be provided an application or be transferred to the Financial Counselors.
- Eligibility for financial assistance is based upon the U.S. Government’s Federal Poverty Guidelines. These guidelines are updated annually. Patients with gross annual household income of 200% or less of Federal Poverty Guidelines qualify for full charity care, assuming all other eligibility criteria are met. Patients with gross annual household income of 200% to 400% of Federal Poverty Guidelines may qualify for discounted charges, assuming all other eligibility criteria are met.
- If you apply for financial assistance, you must provide us with all information necessary to apply for other financial resources that may be available to you. A listing of required documentation is provided with the application.
- If an applicant refuses to apply or provide information necessary to the application process for qualification for other assistance options noted in the policy, the applicant is not eligible for the Financial Assistance Program.
- The financial information requested includes, but is not limited to, monthly income and expenses, as well as assets. Download the Financial Assistance Letter and Application for a full listing of required information.
- Applications must be complete, signed, and dated. A determination is made by our UAB Medicine Financial Assistance Coordinators as to 100% approval, partial approval, or denial based on our established guidelines. A letter of notification is sent to the patient within 7 business days of submission of a completed application.
- Patients requesting financial assistance for non-emergency outpatient clinic appointments are not eligible for appointment consideration until he/she completes the application portion of the Financial Assistance Letter and Application and receives a financial assistance determination letter.
How to apply for financial assistance
- Step 1: Request an Application. Patients may receive an application by:
- Downloading the application here
- Requesting an application at your bedside
- Calling (205) 801-9910 or toll free at (800) 388-7210
- Step 2: Complete and return the application to the address listed on the application.
- Step 3: UAB reviews your application. Our UAB Medicine Financial Assistance Coordinators will review your application to determine if you qualify for assistance according to our guidelines.
- Step 4: You receive a decision. Our UAB Medicine Financial Assistance Coordinators will send a letter to notify the patient/guarantor of approval or denial of the charity care application and the level of assistance for which they are eligible. A letter of notification will be sent to the patient within 7 business days of submission of a completed application.
Financial assistance is not considered to be a substitute for personal responsibility. Patients are expected to cooperate with UAB Medicine’s procedures for obtaining financial assistance or other forms of payment or financial assistance and to contribute to the cost of their care based on their individual ability to pay.
Applicants are expected to provide accurate information to the best of their ability. Falsifying information will be grounds for denial of financial assistance.
Download the Billing & Financial Services Information
Download the Financial Assistance Letter and Application
Financial Assistance Customer Service Resources
If you have questions or need help regarding our Financial Assistance Program at any point before, during, or after your stay, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service professionals, who are happy to assist you in person or over the phone at (205) 801-9910 or toll free at (800) 388-7210.