How to Refer a Patient
For urgent referrals or inpatient transfers, please call UAB MIST (Medical Information Service via Telephone) at 1-800-UAB-MIST (1-800-822-6478) or email email@example.com. UAB MIST is a toll-free, 24-hour service that connects physicians anywhere in the country with UAB Medicine specialists.
Before the patient’s appointment, we will need recent X-rays, CT and PET scans (physical copies or on disc), and all pertinent medical records from the referring physician. To electronically upload relevant radiology scans for referred patients, please use Ambra ImageShare. To learn more about this service, please see UAB’s Ambra Compliance Guide.
UAB Medicine is home to Alabama’s first and only interventional pulmonology program. We believe that all patients with known or suspected thoracic malignancies or related complications deserve prompt attention. We are the state’s only program with expertise in the full range of interventional pulmonology procedures, including flexible/rigid bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound, navigational and robotic bronchoscopy, intra-operative cone beam CT imaging, tumor ablation, airway stenting, and thoracoscopy. We offer a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to pulmonary and pleural conditions such as:
- Central airway obstruction
- Lung mass/nodule
- Mediastinal lymphadenopathy
- Suspected or proven malignant pleural effusions
- Undiagnosed or recurrent benign pleural effusions
Online provider access to UAB electronic medical records
View all ongoing clinical trials at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Robotic BronchoscopyCME/CE0.25Minutes15Close
- Central Airway ObstructionCME/CE0.25Minutes12Close
- Interventional Pulmonology: Medical ThoracoscopyCME/CE0.25Minutes11Close
- Lung Nodule BiopsyCME/CE0.00Minutes28Hitesh Batra, MD, Director of the Interventional Pulmonology & Pleural Disease Program at UAB Medicine, performs two bronchoscopies both of which are for lung nodules that are concerning for lung cancer.WatchClose