Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus, or womb, that often appear during a woman’s childbearing years. They develop from the smooth muscular tissue of the uterus. A single cell divides over and over, eventually creating a firm, rubbery mass. They may grow slowly or rapidly, or remain the same size. They often shrink or disappear after pregnancy, when the uterus goes back to a normal size, and they often go away after menopause. Uterine fibroids range in size from tiny to bulky masses that can enlarge the uterus. Rarely, a fibroid can cause pain and abnormal bleeding. There are three different types of fibroids, defined by where they grow in the uterus.
The care at UAB Medicine for women experiencing symptoms from uterine fibroids is provided through a collaboration between UAB Obstetrics and Gynecology and UAB Interventional Radiology, which ensures that the patient will hear all of her options. Using the latest technology and innovations in therapy, the physicians at UAB Medicine can assist the patient in choosing the most appropriate treatments. Because UAB Medicine is an academic medical center, patients may be offered participation in clinical research trials, which can give them access to new techniques and treatments not available elsewhere in the area.
UAB Obstetrics and Gynecology offers comprehensive women’s health care in a private, personal environment, with physicians and nurses who are dedicated to delivering excellent care. Because our physicians are nationally recognized specialists in their fields, you can rest assured that you are receiving the most advanced care available. UAB Obstetrics and Gynecology is consistently ranked among the best programs of its kind in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The UAB Medicine Interventional Radiology (IR) team includes nationally and internationally recognized IR physicians, along with physician assistants, who strive to make excellence in patient care their highest priority. Each of the IR physicians at UAB Medicine is highly skilled, fellowship-trained, and board-certified by the American Board of Radiology.
- Robot-assisted Surgery at UABWatchClose
- Venita Gowdy: Uterine Fibroid EmbolizationA 90-plus percent success rate at treating uterine fibroids with this minimally invasive procedure means most women are able to avoid hysterectomy and avoid a four- to six-week recovery period.WatchClose
- Meet the Team: Trey Leath, IIIWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Rebecca ArendWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Sukhkamal CampbellA reproductive endocrinologist, Dr. Campbell specializes in fertility preservation for cancer patients, helping them focus on both their physical and mental health.WatchClose
- Meet the Team: Janeen Arbuckle, MD, PHDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Fran Burgan, MDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Margaret Boozer, MDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Todd JenkinsWatchClose
Find a Provider to Schedule an Appointment
Are you a Physician or Provider?
24-Hour Consultation Referral Services
Speak to your physician about your options and browse the link below for more information
Featured HighlightsView All News
January 17, 2024
January 3, 2024
Latest NewsView All News
Scarinci selected to lead national cervical cancer elimination workgroup
February 12, 2024
Heart and kidney transplant patient defies odds and delivers baby at UAB Hospital
February 6, 2024
Gynecologic cancers: Early detection and understanding symptoms can save lives
January 26, 2024
UAB earns Women’s Choice Award for “Best Hospital” designation for eight areas
January 17, 2024
Double the uterus, double the babies, double the birthdays: Alabama mom delivers rare twins at UAB
December 22, 2023