Pregnancy is a period of approximately 41 weeks during which a woman carries a fetus inside of her. In most cases, the fetus grows inside the uterus (womb). Pregnancy is measured from the last menstrual period to the birth of the child or children. Pregnancy typically lasts just over nine months and is divided into trimesters. The first trimester includes weeks 1-12 and begins with conception, which occurs when the sperm from a man penetrates and fertilizes the egg from a woman’s ovary. The fertilized egg passes through the fallopian tube to the uterus and implants itself on the uterine wall. Cells of the fertilized egg (zygote) form the fetus and the placenta. The fetus develops with nutrients and oxygen from the placenta. In the second trimester (weeks 13-28), the fetus’ sex typically becomes known. At about the 20th week, the woman will begin to feel movement from the fetus. The third trimester spans weeks 29-40. Infants born before the 37th week of pregnancy are considered pre-term babies and are at increased risk for developmental delays and other problems. Babies born in the 27th and 28th weeks of pregnancy are called early-term babies. Infants born at 41 weeks through 41 weeks and six days are considered late-term babies, and infants born at 42 weeks and beyond are called post-term babies.
UAB Obstetrics and Gynecology provides comprehensive women’s health care services in a private and personal environment, with physicians dedicated to delivering excellent care. Because our physicians are specialists in their fields, you can rest assured that you’re receiving the most advanced care available. UAB’s Gynecology program is consistently ranked among the best of its kind in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Should the need arise, UAB Obstetrics and Gynecology physicians have immediate access to specialists and subspecialists who focus on a wide range of complex conditions and treatments. From infertility and high-risk pregnancies to female incontinence and gynecologic cancers, our specialized expertise is available when you need it and is supported by some of the nation’s best medical minds. Our commitment to prompt and personalized service means decreased wait times for our patients and a seamless transition from your primary care physician to your specialist.
- Labor & Delivery TourView this video that walks you through what to expect when you come in for labor.WatchClose
- Meet the Team: Kim HooverWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Brian Brocato, DODr. Brocato is a maternal-fetal medicine specialist with an interest in preterm delivery, diabetes, and using ultrasound technology to diagnose conditions and evaluate patients for various procedures.WatchClose
- Meet the Team: Chase Cawyer, MD, MBADr. Cawyer’s goal is to give patients accurate information in a caring manner, to help them better understand and cope with any anxiety and fear during pregnancy.WatchClose
- Meet the Team: Janeen Arbuckle, MD, PHDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Fran Burgan, MDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Margaret Boozer, MDWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Todd JenkinsWatchClose
- Obstetrics and Gynecology at UAB MedicineWatchClose
- Meet the Team: Audra Williams, MDWatchClose
Find a Provider to Schedule an Appointment
Are you a Physician or Provider?
24-Hour Consultation Referral Services
Speak to your physician about your options and browse the link below for more information
Featured HighlightsView All News
November 29, 2023
November 14, 2023
Latest NewsView All News
Five silent symptoms of ovarian cancer
September 12, 2023
UAB’s first uterus transplant recipient delivers healthy baby
July 24, 2023
One-of-a-kind Alabama ovarian cancer car tags raise nearly $1.7 million for ovarian cancer research at UAB
July 6, 2023
Preliminary findings suggest obesity may be tied to the development of PCOS
June 21, 2023
UAB plays major role in launching statewide action plan to eliminate cervical cancer
June 9, 2023