Bariatric Surgery Menu
What You Need to Know
Before you have bariatric (weight loss) surgery, there are some things you need to do and be aware of that will help you have a more successful surgery and weight loss experience. Most of this information is focused on your diet leading up to surgery, which vitamins and nutritional supplements you should be taking, and ways to treat low blood sugar. The documents below contain important information and instructions; please read each of them carefully.
Bariatric Surgery Pre-Op Meal Plan
- This meal plan should be followed for two weeks prior to your operation.
- This meal plan consists of four meal replacements and one solid food meal per day (except for the day before surgery). The one meal should consist of protein and vegetables.
- Space your meal replacement shakes and one solid food meal evenly throughout the day. Have your meal or a shake every 3-4 hours.
- Take one multi-vitamin daily.
- Drink 64 ounces of calorie-free/very low-calorie (less than five calories per serving) sugar-free fluids daily.
- Avoid caloric beverages such as alcohol, juice, regular soda, Gatorade, and sweet tea.
- Do not add fruit or milk to any of the meal replacements.
- If you are using powdered shake mix, use water to mix your shakes (not milk or juice).