How to Refer a Patient
For a consultation or to refer a patient, please complete this form or contact the UAB Lung Transplant Program office at (205) 975-8615 or via fax at (205) 975-9792. We will contact your patient to schedule an appointment. In the meantime, please look for a follow-up fax from us confirming the referral.
For urgent referrals or inpatient transfers, please call UAB MIST (Medical Information Service via Telephone) at 1-800-UAB-MIST (1-800-822-6478) or email email@example.com. UAB MIST is a toll-free, 24-hour service that connects physicians anywhere in the country with UAB Medicine specialists.
UAB is one of fewer than 65 lung transplant centers in the nation and among the busiest, having performed over 785 lung and heart/lung transplants since our first over 25 years ago. Our program provides lifesaving care for serious lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis, emphysema, COPD, interstitial lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, and acute lung injury. We continue to make significant strides in improving patient access and connecting our pulmonary expertise with referring physicians. UAB is home to Alabama’s only ECMO program, helping advance research while serving as both a bridge to recovery and a bridge to transplant.
Online provider access to UAB electronic medical records
View all ongoing clinical trials at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Catastrophic Brain Injury Guidelines & Organ Donor ManagementCME/CE0.25Minutes19Close
- Lung Cancer Screening GuidelinesCME/CE0.25Minutes14Close
- Referral Criteria for Lung Transplant at UABCME/CE0.25Minutes14Close
- UAB Transplant: A Tradition of InnovationCME/CE0.00Minutes28Close
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency: Testing & Treatment OptionsCME/CE0.25Minutes16Close
- The Histocompatibility Lab at UAB MedicineCME/CE0.25Minutes21Close