How to Refer a Patient
There are multiple ways to refer patients to the UAB Medicine Kidney & Pancreas Transplant Program:
- Refer Online: Learn more and sign up for our new referral portal here.
- Referral Form: Complete this online referral form or download a printable PDF version.
- For Urgent Referrals: Please call UAB MIST (Medical Information Service via Telephone) at 1-800-UAB-MIST (1-800-822-6478) or email email@example.com. UAB MIST is a toll-free, 24-hour service that connects physicians anywhere in the country with UAB Medicine specialists.
Please call us at (205) 975-9200 with any questions.
UAB Medicine is one of the most active renal transplant centers in the southeast, for both living-donor and deceased-donor procedures, and we are a national leader in kidney transplants for African Americans. We performed our first kidney transplant in 1968, and that number now exceeds 11,650. Our program is widely recognized for major advances in immunosuppression protocols, research, technology, and surgical techniques. Over the past 30 years, UAB has performed some 422 kidney/pancreas and pancreas-only transplants. We are a leader in caring for patients with serious complications related to insulin-dependent diabetes, so we will evaluate potential transplant candidates with type 2 diabetes who are insulin-dependent, in addition to those with type 1.
Online provider access to UAB electronic medical records
View all ongoing clinical trials at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Catastrophic Brain Injury Guidelines & Organ Donor ManagementCME/CE0.25Minutes19Close
- Geographic Disparities in TransplantationCME/CE0.25Minutes10Close
- Pancreas Transplant for Type II Diabetes Mellitus PatientsCME/CE0.25Minutes9Close
- UAB Outreach in Kidney and Liver TransplantationCME/CE0.25Minutes17Close
- Transplant TelehealthCME/CE0.25Minutes16Close
- Does Age Matter for Kidney TransplantsCME/CE0.25Minutes13Close
- UAB Transplant: A Tradition of InnovationCME/CE0.00Minutes28Close
- When to Remove a Transplanted Kidney?CME/CE0.00Minutes1Close
- Dialysis vs. Transplant: Know Your OptionsCME/CE0.00Minutes3Close
- Paired Exchange Program: How It WorksCME/CE0.00Minutes2Close
- Paired Exchange Program & DesensitizationCME/CE0.00Minutes1Close
- The Incompatible Program: How It WorksCME/CE0.00Minutes4Close
- Solutions to Donor-Recipient IncompatibilityCME/CE0.00Minutes1Close
- The Histocompatibility Lab at UAB MedicineCME/CE0.25Minutes21Close
- Overview of Kidney Transplantation ProgramCME/CE0.00Minutes2The UAB transplant program’s primary goal is help patients get transplanted as quickly as possible. Through our expanded programs, patients are offered several transplant options such as living-donor kidney transplant, paired-kidney exchange, and incompatible kidney and desensitization.WatchClose