UAB Medicine News
Video Visits Now Available with UAB eMedicine
UAB eMedicine now offers online video visits, which allow patients to speak with their UAB Medicine doctor remotely through their smart device or computer, for both routine and urgent care.
UAB eMedicine uses telehealth technology to connect patients with UAB Medicine’s world-class care in new and convenient ways. It provides quality medical services without patients having to leave their home, which has been helpful for many patients during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
UAB eMedicine started in 2014 with its first service, which allows patients to fill out an online form and get a diagnosis and treatment for common conditions such as colds, flu, and certain types of infection. With this latest eMedicine expansion, a growing number of appointments are now being conducted through video visits.
Online Care Options
UAB eMedicine now offers three telehealth care options for patients:
- Scheduled Clinic Video Visit: This option allows your UAB Medicine primary care or specialty care provider to perform basic physical exams, diagnose common medical conditions, manage complex care, and provide personalized treatment plans “face to face” using video technology. If lab work or imaging (such as X-rays) is needed, they will be ordered and done at another time.
A smartphone (preferred) or computer with web camera and Google Chrome installed is required. If using a smartphone you will need to download the AmWell “AW TouchPoint” app, which is available free from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
This option is available if:
- You never had an appointment but you want to make one.
- Your appointment was canceled and you want to reschedule it as an eMedicine visit.
- Your clinic contacted you and changed your in-person appointment to an eMedicine visit.
To schedule an eMedicine Clinic Video Visit with your provider – or to reschedule an in-person appointment as an eMedicine Clinic Video Visit – please contact your provider’s office directly or call 205.934.9999 (toll-free 800.822.8816).
- On-Demand Urgent Care Questionnaire: Complete a short form and get a diagnosis and treatment for routine illnesses and common conditions, including any necessary prescriptions. The form is available 24/7, and a UAB Medicine provider will respond between 8 am and 8 pm, seven days a week. A web camera is NOT required. You must be between the age of 18 and 75, and the cost is $25.
- On-Demand Urgent Care Video Visit: Visit “face to face” over video with a trusted UAB Medicine provider, similar to an in-office appointment. Providers are available 24/7 to evaluate symptoms, make a diagnosis, recommend treatment, and send prescriptions to your pharmacy. We suggest this option if you think you may have a more urgent common condition that may require a physical exam.
A smartphone (preferred) or computer with web camera is required, and you will need to download the UAB eMedicine Video Visit app, which is available free from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. You must be at least 18 years old, and the cost is $45.
Receive care remotely and learn more about UAB eMedicine at UABeMedicine.com.
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
Wearable Devices are Convenient for Monitoring Heart Rhythms
Thirty Years After ADA, There’s Still Work to Be Done
Nine Signs that Children May Need an Eye Exam
Hogan Knox, MD, joins UAB Callahan Eye Hospital & Clinics
Dr. Callahan Selected as Member of Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame
The 20/20 Initiative: Bringing Clarity to Your Vision
Remember to Protect Your Eyes During UV Safety Month
UAB Cancer Rehab Program Helps Patients Overcome Complications
Caution Over Convenience: The Why Behind The Mask
Keeping Your Eyes Healthy during COVID-19