How do I request my medical records?
As a patient of UAB Medicine, it is your right to receive a copy of your medical record and/or request that your medical record be released to a third party.
1. I am personally requesting medical records:
- As a patient, for my personal use/personal representative;
- As a patient, for another healthcare provider to continue my care (continuity of care); or
- As a parent/guardian, for my minor child.
To download the request form, click here.
2. I am requesting that my medical records be sent directly to a third party, such as an attorney or someone else other than me.
To download the authorization form, click here.
Please complete the relevant form(s) above and return it by any method below:
UAB Health Information Management
Release of Information Office
1201 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35205
Business Office Location and Hours:
1st Floor of UAB Highlands
1201 11th Ave. South
Birmingham, AL 35205
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (and closed daily from 12 p.m.-1 p.m.)
*This location is for drop-off and pickup only. Records will not be printed from this location. You will need to provide one form of picture identification such as a driver’s license, state identification card, passport, or military identification card.
Other Information You May Need to Know
Using the Patient Portal:
myUABMedicine is an online patient portal for patients of UAB Medicine that offers secure access to view, download, and transmit portions of your electronic medical record. It allows you to manage your health and stay connected with your UAB health care providers. You can access this convenient and secure health management tool from anywhere you have access to the Internet. For more information and to self-enroll, visit https://www.uabmedicine.org/me.
Connecting Your Health Management Apps:
UAB Medicine provides convenient, streamlined resources to help you better manage your health information. We now offer you the ability to securely connect health management apps to your UAB Medicine electronic medical record. If you are interested, click the link below to complete a connection request form:
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Who do I contact when I have a question about my medical records at UAB Medicine?
UAB Medicine Release of Information Department (Medical Records): 205-930-7724
2. Who do I contact when I have additional questions about other records at UAB Medicine?
To request only Billing Records/Statements, please contact: 205-934-6400
To request only Radiology images/x-ray films, please contact: 205-934-3456
To request only Beacon Recovery records, please contact: 205-917-3733
To request only Callahan Eye Hospital records, please contact: 205-325-8390
To request only Pathology slides/material, please contact 205-934-4977
3. Is there a cost for patients to receive their own medical records?
There is no cost for patients to receive their own medical records. There is also no cost for having medical records sent to another health care provider for continuity of care.
4. How long does it take to process my request for medical records?
In accordance with HIPAA rules, we have 30 days to respond to your request. However, we strive to get the records out sooner. If you have requested that your records be mailed to you, please allow sufficient time for postal service delivery.
5. How long are records maintained at UAB?
Our paper records retention policy is to maintain them for 10 years. After 10 years, paper records may not be available.
6. Can anyone other than the patient request or receive copies of their medical records?
Yes, but only if the person signing on behalf of the patient has provided supporting documentation (i.e., Advance Directive/Healthcare Power of Attorney) stating that the person making the request is authorized to request and receive the patient’s medical records.
7. How do you request medical records for minors under 19 years of age?
If the patient is a minor or is unable to provide consent, the signature of a parent, guardian, or other legal representative is required along with documentation indicating legal authority (if requested by UAB).
8. How do you obtain a copy of a deceased person’s medical records?
To request copies of medical records of a deceased patient, the request must be accompanied by authorization from the Executor, Executrix, Administrator of the Estate, or Personal Representative, along with documentation indicating legal authority. A death certificate might also be requested.
9. How do I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?
UAB Medicine does not provide birth or death certificates. Please contact the Alabama Department of Public Health at https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/index.html.
10. How do I correct my medical record if I believe the information is incomplete or inaccurate?
If you believe the information documented within your record is incomplete or inaccurate, you have a right to submit a formal written amendment request. Once a formal request has been submitted, your provider may either approve or deny the request. For more information on requesting an amendment to your record, please contact the Compliance Department at 205-975-0585.
Keywords: Medical Record, Medical Records