UAB Medicine News
Favorite Healthy Meals from Restaurants Near UAB
Taco Mama: “The Sizzler” steak soft tacos with side of guacamole (take half of the chips and guacamole home and eat later!)
Dawn Lowery, MS, RD, LD – inpatient clinical dietitian
Falafel Cafe: Hummus plate with falafel, pickles, sumac onions, Jerusalem salad, and pickled cabbage
Holly Bowden – inpatient dietetic technician
Surin West: Chicken noodle bowl and vegetable egg rolls (save half for lunch the next day)
Emily Keene, MS, RD, LD – inpatient dietitian
Newk’s: ½ pesto chicken sandwich and ½ simply salad with honey mustard dressing
Cammy Lovoy, MS, RD, LD – inpatient dietitian
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe: Children’s chicken feast with side choices of fruit and Greek salad
UAB cafeteria: DIY chicken taco salad; order 1-2 chicken tacos and 1 small salad from salad bar, remove tortillas, and add chicken and toppings to salad, with 1 sour cream packet
Moe’s Southwest Grill: Taco salad or burrito bowl, ask for dressing on the side, and opt for guacamole or salsa as toppings instead of sour cream or cheese dip
McAllister’s Deli: Cup of vegetable soup and garden salad, harvest chicken salad, or chef salad
Mariah Stewart, MS, RDN, LD, CDE – dietitian and diabetes educator
Newk’s: Greek salad with chicken, but substitute the dressing with something lighter from home, such as Ken’s light ranch or light Greek
Taco Bell: Bean burrito and 1-2 soft tacos (extra lettuce and tomato) with G2 punch
- 2 soft chicken tacos with one packet (or none) of sour cream, supplemented by small container of raw veggies from the salad bar
- Veggie plate with pinto beans, cabbage, or greens and one other non-fried vegetable (ok, maybe splurge on fried okra once in a while)
Wall Street Deli:
- Turkey sandwich on wheat or rye bread, light mayo, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and onion
- Build-your-own salad special, with grilled chicken, lots of veggies, and some black beans, too. Be specific about the amount of dressing (ask for 2 tablespoons only)
- Baked potato with grilled chicken, black beans, and salsa (light on the grated cheese and no butter!)
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe: Kids menu chicken kabob plate – plenty of food!
Sitar Indian Cuisine: Lunch buffet, but limit creamy toppings, avoid fried options, and only fill your plate once. Go easy on the naan bread (1-2 small pieces only).
Wherever you go, save money and sugar calories by skipping the regular soft drink or sweet tea.
Alison Wharton, MPH, RD, LD, CDE – dietitian and diabetes educator
Produced by UAB Medicine Marketing Communications (learn more about our content).
5 Tools for Dealing With Stress for Mental Health
Older Patient Receives New Kidney and Pancreas, Thanks to Expanded Criteria
UAB Hospital re-verified as a Level I Trauma Center
A UAB team has delivered a breakthrough that may end the burden of waiting for a kidney transplant
Heart-Healthy Tailgates for the Win