UAB Medicine News
Favorite Healthy Meals from Restaurants Near UAB
Taco Mama: “The Sizzler” steak soft tacos with side of guacamole (take half of the chips and guacamole home and eat later!)
Dawn Lowery, MS, RD, LD – inpatient clinical dietitian
Falafel Cafe: Hummus plate with falafel, pickles, sumac onions, Jerusalem salad, and pickled cabbage
Holly Bowden – inpatient dietetic technician
Surin West: Chicken noodle bowl and vegetable egg rolls (save half for lunch the next day)
Emily Keene, MS, RD, LD – inpatient dietitian
Newk’s: ½ pesto chicken sandwich and ½ simply salad with honey mustard dressing
Cammy Lovoy, MS, RD, LD – inpatient dietitian
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe: Children’s chicken feast with side choices of fruit and Greek salad
UAB cafeteria: DIY chicken taco salad; order 1-2 chicken tacos and 1 small salad from salad bar, remove tortillas, and add chicken and toppings to salad, with 1 sour cream packet
Moe’s Southwest Grill: Taco salad or burrito bowl, ask for dressing on the side, and opt for guacamole or salsa as toppings instead of sour cream or cheese dip
McAllister’s Deli: Cup of vegetable soup and garden salad, harvest chicken salad, or chef salad
Mariah Stewart, MS, RDN, LD, CDE – dietitian and diabetes educator
Newk’s: Greek salad with chicken, but substitute the dressing with something lighter from home, such as Ken’s light ranch or light Greek
Taco Bell: Bean burrito and 1-2 soft tacos (extra lettuce and tomato) with G2 punch
- 2 soft chicken tacos with one packet (or none) of sour cream, supplemented by small container of raw veggies from the salad bar
- Veggie plate with pinto beans, cabbage, or greens and one other non-fried vegetable (ok, maybe splurge on fried okra once in a while)
Wall Street Deli:
- Turkey sandwich on wheat or rye bread, light mayo, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and onion
- Build-your-own salad special, with grilled chicken, lots of veggies, and some black beans, too. Be specific about the amount of dressing (ask for 2 tablespoons only)
- Baked potato with grilled chicken, black beans, and salsa (light on the grated cheese and no butter!)
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe: Kids menu chicken kabob plate – plenty of food!
Sitar Indian Cuisine: Lunch buffet, but limit creamy toppings, avoid fried options, and only fill your plate once. Go easy on the naan bread (1-2 small pieces only).
Wherever you go, save money and sugar calories by skipping the regular soft drink or sweet tea.
Alison Wharton, MPH, RD, LD, CDE – dietitian and diabetes educator
Produced by UAB Medicine Marketing Communications (learn more about our content).
TxAccess Referral Portal
Joint Commission awards ventricular device certification to UAB Cardiovascular Institute
UAB receives GOLD certification for cardio-oncology program from International Society of Cardio-Oncology
Men and Mental Health: Ask for Help Before Challenges Become Crises
What Women Should Know About Lung Cancer