Post-Operative Bariatric Surgery Diet – Phase 3 (Day 15 to 3 Months)
- The third diet phase after bariatric surgery is the pureed/soft phase.
- Chew all food until it is smooth, similar to the consistency of applesauce.
- Practice mindful, slow eating and always stop eating or drinking as soon as you start to feel full.
- Your goal is to consume six small meals per day. Consume additional protein at each meal in order to reach your protein goal for the day.
- Daily protein goal: Women 60-80 grams/day; men 80-100 grams/day
- Drink at least 48-64 ounces of approved beverages per day.
- Separate liquids from meals (even if your meal is a protein shake). Stop drinking 30 minutes before you begin a meal, and do not resume drinking until 30 minutes after you finish the meal.
- All liquids must be low in calories (15 calories or less per 8 ounces), sugar-free, caffeine-free, and non-carbonated.
- Keep a food journal and track your food intake, protein intake, and vitamin supplements.