A Message to Our Patients
Dear UAB Medicine Transplant Patients,
The well-being of our patients is our top priority. Information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) infection continues to change, but your UAB transplant team wants you to know that we are committed to your health and safety. Here are a few important things to know:
- The UAB Comprehensive Transplant Institute remains open and will continue providing essential medical services to our transplant patients throughout the COVID-19 outbreak.
- We are still receiving offers for donor organs and performing transplants for our waitlisted patients. We require COVID-19 testing of all donors prior to accepting the organ, and we are carefully screening patients being called in for transplant at the time of organ offer and again upon hospital admission, to minimize the risk to our patients. If we have to pause transplant surgeries temporarily, we will post that notification on this website.
- We continue to conduct heart, lung, and liver evaluations to those who need urgent transplants. Kidney transplant evaluations were placed on hold in mid-March, but we have now resumed seeing these patients.
- Many of our post-transplant visits will continue as telehealth visits by phone and video, but we will be increasing our capacity to provide in-person visits for candidates undergoing transplant evaluations as well as transplant recipients.
Your health is our No. 1 priority. We are taking numerous steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, including special cleaning measures and practicing social distancing throughout our operations to ensure safety. Here are a few things you can expect during your upcoming visit to our clinic:
- We ask that you arrive to your visit wearing a mask, and homemade masks are fine to use. Click here to see easy instructions on making your own mask at home, including options that do not require sewing.
- We ask that you come to your visit alone to comply with our visitor policy which follows state guidelines. If you bring a family member or support person, please ask them to wait in their car.
- We are arranging our waiting room to ensure there is enough space to social distance. Please help us by staying at least 6 feet away from others during your visit.
- For evaluation patients, we will provide your education class on an iPad while you are in a private exam room instead of a large conference room. Our clinic staff will assist you in getting started with the virtual learning experience and will be available to assist you if needed.
Many of your questions about pre- and post-transplant life during this unusual time are answered on this website, which also is linked below. This site was created by the largest group of transplant experts in America and is being updated regularly. We strongly encourage you to review it and contact us toll-free at 833.UAB.CTI1 if you have questions or concerns.
Thank you for choosing UAB and for your patience as we continue to adjust our processes to protect you and our health care team.
Your UAB Medicine Transplant Team