UAB Medicine News
Important Information for UAB Patients
Dear UAB Medicine Patients and Family Members,
You have always trusted us with your care, so rest assured that UAB Medicine will continue providing essential medical services throughout this coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
There is so much information to share, but let’s start with the basics:
- UAB Medicine remains open. UAB Medicine remains open and we are here to care for you and your family. We will continue seeing patients who need us most at our hospital and emergency departments. Clinic visits are available in person and also available through UAB eMedicine which includes video and phone visits with your health care provider. To schedule a visit with your provider, please call your provider’s office directly or feel free to contact us at 205.934.9999 or toll-free at 1.800.822.8816.
- Your health and safety is our No. 1 priority. We are taking numerous steps to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, including special cleaning measures and practicing social distancing throughout our operations. Additionally, all patients, caregivers, and employees are required to wear a mask while in our facilities. To learn more about our safety measures, https://www.uabmedicine.org/your-uab-medicine-visit-hub >>
- The UAB Medicine app is available for download from the app stores for both Apple iOS devices (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. It gives patients easy access to many UAB Medicine services, including:
- The Patient Portal, where you may request refills and send messages to your providers.
- UAB eMedicine, which offers online diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
- Online bill payment.
- Updates on the coronavirus and answers to common medical questions.
- A user guide for the app is available here.
Below are some general guidelines to follow if you or a loved one needs medical care:CORONAVIRUS TESTING:
You have several options for testing if you think you may have coronavirus. You may call the 24/7 Alabama COVID-19 hotline at 1.888.264.2256. for testing site locations and hours of operation. Also, in partnership with the Jefferson County Department of Health, UAB has opened an appointment-based testing center, open Sunday - Friday from 9 am - 11:15 am. Patients experiencing COVID-19 symptoms can call 205-975-1881 for screening. If they meet the screening criteria, they will be provided an appointment time at our drive-through testing center. Patients must have an appointment to be tested.TO CANCEL OR RESCHEDULE A NON-URGENT APPOINTMENT, PROCEDURE, OR SURGERY:
Please visit uabmedicine.org and click on eMedicine in the top right corner.FOR URGENT MEDICAL CARE:
If you are experiencing a true medical emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. For non-emergency urgent care – if you have coronavirus or think you’ve been exposed – please DO NOT go to the emergency room or come to UAB Medicine outpatient clinics for any reason. Instead, please contact your primary care doctor or call UAB HealthFinder at 205.934.9999. or toll-free at 1.800.822.8816. for instructions.
We recognize that this is a difficult time for everyone. Please understand that UAB Medicine is doing everything we can to ensure that our patients continue receiving the care they need. UAB Medicine will send out more details as updates become available.
For information about the coronavirus and updates on how UAB is responding, please visit uab.edu/coronavirus.We hope that you and your loved ones stay healthy and safe.
Will Ferniany, PhD
CEO, UAB Medicine
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
UAB Cancer Rehab Program Helps Patients Overcome Complications
Caution Over Convenience: The Why Behind The Mask
Keeping Your Eyes Healthy during COVID-19
Don’t Let COVID-19 Fears Affect Your Eye Health
Video Visits Now Available with UAB eMedicine
BMT and MICU Team Up to Open New Temporary ICU
UAB Social Worker Continues Family Tradition
Express Online Check-In Now Available at UAB Medicine
Birmingham Heart Walk Goes Virtual
COVID-19 Safety at the Shore: 5 Tips for Beach Trips