UAB Medicine News
Additional Community Vaccination Sites Opening
UAB Medicine will open two drive-through COVID-19 vaccination locations this month:
- Hoover Metropolitan Complex, opening September 15
- Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8 am to 1 pm
- Faith Chapel in Ensley, opening September 22
- Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday, 8 am to 1 pm
First, second, and third doses of the COVID-19 vaccine will be offered free of charge to patients and the public in these drive-through locations, to help expand access to the vaccine and continue the fight against COVID-19.
To self-schedule an appointment, visit UABMedicineVaccine.org, or call 205-975-1881 for assistance. These sites also will accept those who drive up without an appointment.
UAB Medicine provides the FDA-approved Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, now known as Comirnaty.
Currently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional (third) dose. This includes people who have:
- Medical conditions such as asplenia and chronic renal disease, which may be associated with varying degrees of immune deficiency
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancer of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medication to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medication to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress immune response
Talk to your health care provider about your medical condition and whether an additional dose is appropriate for you.
Adulting 101: Transitioning from Pediatric to Adult Health Care
Dry January: How 31 Days of Sobriety Can Improve Health and Well-Being
Seasonal Affective Disorder Isn’t Just a Case of the Holiday Blues
BINGO... New Year, New Ways to Improve Your Heart
Kirklin named inaugural recipient of the PHTS Lifetime Achievement Award