Evidence-Based Nursing Practice and Research
At UAB Medicine, we are taking steps not only to be aware of nursing research and evidence-based nursing practices (EBNP), but also to support our nursing staff in understanding, utilizing, participating and conducting research and EBNP projects.
EBNP at UAB aims to make clinical decisions by integrating the best available evidence, coupled with clinical expertise and patient values in order to provide excellent patient care.
The UAB Center for Nursing Excellence (CNE) promotes excellence in building scholarly outcomes that improve health care for our patients and families by forming collaborative partnerships with the UAB School of Nursing and others. Throughout the year, the Center for Nursing Excellence also provides a number of workshops throughout the year that help nurses pursue EBNP and research endeavors by making it part of their practice:
- Evidence-Based Practice Workshops define Evidence-Based Practice and related terms.
- Publication Workshops are designed for nurses who have an interest in professional publishing.
- Oral and Poster Presentation Workshops offer participants guidance and practice in developing the public speaking and presentation skills.
- How to Write an Abstract Workshops coach nurses who have an interest in writing and submitting an abstract to a conference.
- How to Critique a Research Article reviews how to judge the merits of a research study to determine its usefulness as a source for the information being sought.
- Searching Literature Using Online Resources explains how to successfully conduct computer searches to sift through the vast amount of available literature.