Heart and Lung Transplant ICU (HTICU)
The Heart and Lung Transplant ICU provides care for the adult patient during the pre-transplant and post-transplant phase along with an adjoining outpatient ambulatory cardiothoracic treatment unit.
- Heart, lung, heart/lung transplants
- Ventricular Assist Device placement
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- All post HTICU transplant patients return to unit for any subsequent admission in order to provide continuity of care
Number of beds
- 5 bed ambulatory cardiothoracic treatment area.
- 1:1 and 1:2
- Assignments of 1:3 include patients who are primarily caring for themselves prior to discharge
- 12 hour shifts 7a-7p and 7p-7a
- Work every 4th weekend.
Nursing Unit Orientation
- The orientation period is tailored to the individual. The typical orientation is a 12 week program that includes clinical and class room time. Critical care nursing in the HTICU includes extensive hemodynamic monitoring, ventilator care and knowledge of advanced technology for our ventricular assist device patients. (All of these skills are taught during the orientation period.)