Patient and Family-Centered Care
Patient and Family Centered Care
Patient- and Family-Centered Care at UAB has its foundation in four key areas: collaboration, information sharing, participation, and dignity and respect. A collaborative environment between UAB Medicine team members ensures the highest quality of care for our patients. Information sharing between staff, patients and family members fosters an environment where decisions are made with both facts and feelings.
By showing dignity and respect to each patient, we meet our patients where they are and nurture each patient's uniqueness in their need for care, counsel and compassion. Participation involves every member of the UAB Medicine team in the care of our patients, whether or not they have direct contact with our patients.
Some examples of patient and family-centered care in action include:
- Extended ICU visiting hours and open visiting hours throughout the other areas of the hospital
- Increase in patient representatives to address concerns
- Bereavement program and on-site interfaith chaplains to counsel families
- Rounding on patients and families and waiting room rounds
- Family friendly break areas
- Committee comprised of patients, former patients, and family members to discuss how we can further our practice