Prepare for Admission
For information on Admission to the Women & Infants Center, click here.
Once your hospital stay has been scheduled, a registrar will call you at home to arrange for your admission. The registrar will ask you the name of your insurance company, your policy or contract number, and the name that is on the policy. If you have group insurance through an employer or other group, the registrar will also ask you the employer's name, address, and phone number; the policyholder's Social Security number; and whether the group has more than 100 or fewer than 100 employees.
When You Arrive at the Hospital
When you arrive at UAB Hospital, you should go to the Admissions Office, located on the second floor of UAB Hospital. The main Admitting section is directly off of the walkway from both parking decks. There is an information desk there also to help patients locate the Admitting section. At the Admissions Office, you'll be expected to pay your co-pay on the day you're admitted. You'll also be asked to sign a form that allows the hospital to bill your insurance company and release information to it about your hospitalization. If you choose not to sign this release and assignment form, we can't bill your insurance company, and you will be responsible for paying the bill.
If You Are Having Surgery
If you are coming to the hospital for surgery, your physician will provide information on special procedures you will need to follow prior to surgery. You should report to the Admission Office on the second floor of the UAB Hospital.
What To Bring and What Not To Bring
You should bring a living will (if you have one), your Social Security card, and third-party payer identification information for Medicare, Medicaid, or an insurance or managed care plan.
Please leave all valuables such as cash and jewelry at home. If applicable, you should be prepared to pay the private pay portion of your stay, and checkbooks and credit cards used for this purpose may be returned home with a family member or your designee. Also, electrical appliances such as radios and CD players should not be brought to the hospital.
Before Leaving for UAB:
- Secure hotel or living arrangements for yourself and any accompanying family members
Arrange child care
- Arrange pet care
- Arrange house care
- Forward mail
- Pay bills and arrange future payment
- Change work email and voicemail to out of office
- Mow lawn and arrange lawn care
- Remove perishables from refrigerator and pantry
- Take out garbage and recycling
- Turn off water
- Name an advocate
- Gather needed paperwork
- Requested lab results, x-rays, orders, etc.
- Prepare list of current medications
- Prepare list of family and friend email addresses and phone numbers
What to bring to UAB Hospital:
- Slippers or socks with sticky bottoms to prevent slipping
- Clean undergarments
- List of phone numbers and emails of family and friends
- List of medication
- Prescription medication in original containers
- Pen and pad for questions or logging care
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Contacts, extra contacts & solution
- Books, magazines, etc.
- Crosswords, Sudoku, etc.
- Deck of cards
- Mp3 player
- Cell phone and charger
- Stationery and stamps
While at UAB:
- Introduce advocate to doctor and head nurse
- Notify nurse of all medications and allergies
- Including: prescriptions, over-the-counter medicine, any herbal, vitamin or nutrition supplements
- Wear ID bracelet at all times
- Confirm information is correct as well
- Ask for help
- When standing, if feeling lightheaded or dizzy, weak or unstable
- Wash your hands and ask staff if they have
- Notify doctors and nurses of any pain you experience
- If having surgery, make sure surgeon marks the spot/injury prior to operation
- Move around if possible
UAB Health System can not be held responsible for lost or misplaced personal items so please be mindful of this when selecting items to bring for your hospital stay.