UAB Insight on Neurosciences 2011
Welcome to the latest issue of UAB Insight on Neurosciences: Neurology and Neurosurgery, created to keep you informed about UAB’s Neurology and Neurosurgery services. This magazine is designed to examine specific neurologic disease entities and provide an update on the latest approaches to caring for patients with these conditions. Each article is written by UAB specialists with expertise in the disease discussed.
These experts provide the reader with their perspective on the condition, current treatment options, recent advances, and information on new and evolving therapies that offer exciting opportunities to improve care and quality of life for patients.
We in the neurosciences at UAB are working hard to enhance our communication with our referring physicians and to continue to foster a collaborative approach to patient care that optimally serves our mutual patients and you, their physicians. We hope you enjoy reading about UAB’s latest evidence-based and innovative treatments and look forward to working with you in the future.
David G. Standaert, MD, PhD
Interim Chairman and John and Juanelle Strain
Endowed Chair in Neurology
James M. Markert, MD, MPH
Director and James Garber Galbraith Endowed
Chair in Neurosurgery
Table of Contents
- Botox for Migraine
- Repairing the Brain: Current Gene Therapy Applications in Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Comparative Genomics in a Comprehensive Cancer Management Program
- Vertebral Fractures: A Kyphoplasty Retrospective
- Endoscopic Endonasal Odontoid Resection for Basilar Invagination
- Neuromodulatory Surgery: Clinical Applications, Implications
- Sleep Disorders: A Neurological Perspective
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage Trial Combines Minimally Invasive Surgical Evacuation With rtPA