6 Instant Mood Boosters
The next time you feel a good mood start to sour, try these quick and easy tips from Lauren Whitt, PhD, UAB Wellness Coordinator and adjunct professor in the Department of Human Studies.
“The first thing we have to do is realize that a negative mood can hurt our success and enjoyment of life, and impact our friends, family, and co-workers. Each of us has the power to make the decision to breathe deeply and be joyful,” Whitt says.
Here are six more ways Dr. Whitt recommends to morph your mood from bad to better:
- Laugh today! Laughing relieves tension, stress, releases endorphins, and boosts your immune system. Enjoy the celebrating the little things in life.
- Take “Me Time.” Remember to balance your own needs with your family’s needs. Take time to reflect, relax, and rejuvenate yourself.
- Sleep! Getting seven to eight hours of shut eye every night is critical to maintain a healthy immune system. It also helps us keep control over our emotions.
- Stay Connected. Your relationships matter. If you tend to isolate, engage by inviting others to join you for dinner parties or social events. Be proactive about investing in the people who matter in your life, and surround yourself with positive friends.
- Share your struggles. Talk to a counselor or good friend about your winter blues and the challenges in your life, and ask them to support you in an effort to choose a positive outlook.
- Step Outside. A breath of fresh air and an encounter with the outdoors is certain to rejuvenate your spirits.