General Clinic Information
We are located on the 4th floor of The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Please call 205.996.6374 with any questions or concerns.
To schedule an appointment, please call 205.996.6374. In the event that you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call either of the numbers listed above. If possible, we appreciate your cancellation at least 24 hours in advance.
After Hours and Emergencies
If you need to reach your physician after hours, please call UAB Paging at (205) 934-3411 and ask for the Nephrologist on call. If this is a true medical emergency, please dial 911 for immediate assistance.
What to Bring with You
When you come to your appointment, please bring your insurance card, all prescription and over the counter medications that you are currently taking, and any additional information that your referring physician has not already sent to our clinic.
On the day of your appointment, please arrive at least 1 hour prior to your appointment time so that you may have lab work drawn. It is necessary to have your labs drawn prior to your appointment so that your physician can review your results at the time of your visit. The lab is located on the 2nd floor of The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital and your lab order will already be at the lab for you. If you have been asked to bring in a 24-hour urine collection, please drop that off at the lab when you have your lab work drawn. Please read the instructions at the end of this letter about performing a 24-hour urine collection.
Some insurance providers may require a referral or pre-certification before seeing a specialist of this nature. Please be sure to bring a copy of this referral or pre-certification with you for insurance/billing purposes. If you are unsure of what your insurance company requires, please contact them in advance of your appointment and they will be happy to answer any of your questions. Your co-pay is expected at the time of your visit; however, our financial counselors are available to discuss any problems or special circumstances. Our financial counselors may be reached Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at (205) 801-9910.
Depending on your physician, your lab results will be discussed with you on your return visit, mailed to your home, or called to you by a member of our staff. Although it may take up to 2 weeks to receive the results of some specific tests that may be ordered, please be aware that any emergent abnormal lab or test values will be relayed to you by your physician as soon as the results are obtained.
The Nephrology Clinic can not prescribe medications to new patients prior to their appointment. Please contact your referring physician for all prescription needs prior to your new patient appointment. Once you are an established patient in our clinic, you will be given a telephone number to contact your physician's office directly for prescription refill needs.
There are many sources of patient education that your physician may discuss with you at the time of your visit.
Directions for collection of a 24-hour urine specimen:
- You may pick up a specimen bottle from the lab or use any clean, dry container for the collection of your 24-hour urine specimen.
- Upon rising the day PRIOR to your scheduled visit, note the time when you urinate the very first time. Do NOT collect any of this urine; just note the time so you will know when to collect the last specimen.
- Collect ALL of the rest of the urine that you void during the day, carefully pouring the urine into a clean, dry container.
- Collect ALL urine voided during the night and add this to the above container.
- The last specimen to be added to the container should be collected the next morning at the same time you noted voiding the very first time the day before.
- Please note that your lab values are calculated on ALL of the urine your body voids during the 24-hour period.