Eye Emergency and Trauma
Located on the first floor of the UAB Callahan Eye Hospital, the UAB Eye Emergency / Trauma Department serves as a comprehensive, fully dedicated Eye Emergency / Trauma Department. UAB Callahan Eye Hospital Emergency and Eye Trauma Department provides the only 24/7 emergency department totally dedicated to eye emergencies and eye trauma in Alabama and one of only 2 in the Southeast.
We serve as a local and regional referral center for management of eye emergencies and eye trauma and our reputation in ocular trauma has lead to both national and international referrals. The department was the first in the United States to be awarded designation as an ocular trauma center in the United States by the American Society of Ocular Trauma. The department is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
As a designated Ocular Trauma Center we provide 24/7 access to:
- Ophthalmology specialty trained physicians and nurses
- All ophthalmology sub-specialties as needed
- Emergency eye surgery
- Specialty equipped emergency department and operating rooms
- All necessary diagnostic testing
- Other medical specialties as needed
- Ophthalmology telephone consultation with other health care providers on appropriate initial management and the most appropriate access to resources to meet the needs of the patient
Eye ER: 205.325.8254