Because the UAB prostate cancer clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic, and because prostate cancer can be treated a number of ways, a personalized treatment plan will be created for you at your first appointment. This treatment may include:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT), or the use of high-powered X-rays to kill the cancer cells
- Radioactive Seen Implants deliver a smaller amount of radiation over a longer period of time through rice-sized “seeds” implanted by cancer cells.
- Hormone Therapy, or causing the body to cease testosterone production, which can stimulate cancer cell growth
- Radical Prostatectomy, or removal of the prostate gland surgically
- Robotically-assisted surgery, or removal of the prostate through minimally invasive, robotically-assisted surgery
- Chemotherapy, or destroying growing cancer cells with chemicals
- Cryotherapy, or destroying cancer cells by freezing the tissue