Cardiothoracic Surgery - Overview
The UAB Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery has earned an international reputation for its comprehensive care and surgical expertise, as well as ground-breaking research. UAB is the region's most advanced health-care facility for treating cardiovascular and thoracic disorders, and our high standard of care is available for any cardiovascular and cardiothoracic illness or condition. We are a national leader in cardiothoracic surgery with a long history of excellence and perform thousands of open-heart procedures each year.
UAB provides round-the-clock access, every day, to some of the world’s best, most-respected surgeons. UAB’s cardiothoracic surgeons include respected pioneers in their fields, as well as leading researchers and innovators in essentially all areas of pediatric and adult cardiothoracic surgery. Here, some of the world's most sought-after and experienced surgeons operate in state-of-the-art facilities, backed by nationally recognized nursing care.
Beyond the technology and experience is a staff committed to healing and fully recognizing each patient's unique needs. There is a one-to-one nurse-patient ratio for pediatric and cardiac transplantation patients. For all other cardiac intensive-care unit patients, a one-to-one or one-to-two nurse-patient ratio is maintained as needed.
From neonatal care to end-stage heart disease or heart and lung transplants, UAB offers not just the best expertise, but patient-focused, compassionate, and personalized care.
UAB Cardiothoracic Surgery is divided into three programs:
- Adult Cardiac Surgery
UAB is a pre-eminent adult cardiac surgical care center, consistently ranked as one of the nation’s best, and is world-respected for ground-breaking surgeries, trials, and research.
- Adult Thoracic Surgery
Ground-breaking procedures, state-of-the-art facilities and some of the world’s most experienced, renowned, and patient-driven thoracic surgeons set UAB apart from any other facility in the region. Adult Thoracic Surgery treats conditions in the thoracic, or chest, area, including the lungs, chest walls, and esophagus.
- Pediatric/Neonatal Cardiothoracic Surgery
UAB is a national leader in cardiothoracic care for patients of all ages and is one of the few elite centers in the country with the ability and expertise to perform complex heart repairs and procedures on neonates, infants, and children, as well as on adults with complex congenital heart disease.
- Cardiovascular Conditions:
- Acute and chronic diseases of the thoracic aorta
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Dissections
- Complex Congenital Heart Disease (neonatal and adult)
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Diseases of the thoracic aorta
- End stage heart disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Thoracic Conditions:
- Diseases and tumors of the mediastinum pleura, chest wall, esophagus and diaphragm
- Esophageal Disease
- End stage lung disease
- Lung Cancer
- Various kinds of pulmonary diseases
UAB provides a wide range of services to treat cardiovascular and thoracic conditions.
- Cardiovascular Services:
- Heart Transplantations and Lung Transplantations
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery offers to patients state-of-the-art procedures not offered elsewhere in the region, including:
- Endovascular aortic graft placement
- Procedures to treat aneurysms of the descending aorta
- Stentless valvular procedures
- Procedures for Diseases of the Thoracic Aorta
- End-stage cardiac procedures, including the use of Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices
- Complex cardiothoracic surgery for neonates, infants, children, and adults, including surgery for those with complex congenital heart disease
- Surgical treatment of valvular heart diseases, including heart valve repair and replacement
- Thoracic Services:
- Complex Airway Reconstruction
- Hyperhidrosis Surgery
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- Lung and esophageal cancer surgery
- Robotic: segments, wedges, lobectomy, mediastinal mass
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit UAB Medicine’s Heart & Vascular Services Website.