“People from all over the world come to UAB because they trust us and because we deliver on that trust. They understand the high level of care only a great academic institution can provide from the synergy of great biomedical research, comprehensive clinical care, and education for the nation’s brightest medical students. Our advanced facilities, unique services, and sophisticated equipment are second to none, but the medical staff and employees are what separate UAB from the rest. Our medical staff is ranked by colleagues to be among the best, our nursing staff is recognized with Magnet distinction, and all our employees strive to deliver care with attention to one patient at a time. To me and our patients, the UAB physicians and staff perform miracles every day.”
-Will Ferniany, PhD – Chief Executive Officer, UAB Health System
The (University of Alabama at Birmingham) UAB Health System is an academic health center located in Birmingham, Alabama. At UAB we pride ourselves as being the premier medical facility in the state and region, with healthcare professionals who are second to none. As one of US News and World Report’s Best Hospitals and a winner of the Women’s Choice award, UAB is a national leader in patient care, research, and training. Medical professionals from around the nation look to us to be in the vanguard of medicine, and we deliver on that expectation. Patients look to us for hope when in medical distress, and our nurses and medical staff exceed expectations in providing the highest quality of care, always with the patients and their families in mind.
The centerpiece of the UAB Health System is UAB Hospital, one of the largest and most advanced in the nation. It was established in 1945 as the teaching hospital for what now is the UAB School of Medicine. Situated among major research centers and clinics, UAB Hospital provides patients with a complete range of primary and specialty care services, as well as the most up-to-date treatments and innovations in health care. As a university hospital, UAB Hospital is a major center for clinical research and home to some of the top medical programs in America.
UAB is the largest academic medical center in Alabama and one of the largest academic medical centers in the United States.
- UAB’s nationally ranked Heart and Vascular Services provides the full spectrum of cardiovascular care and performs the most advanced cardiovascular, peripheral vascular, and thoracic surgery procedures available.
- The UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center provides oncology treatment and care and performs some of the nation’s most advanced cancer research, utilizing the largest cyclotron in a U.S. academic medical center.
- As the only Adult Level I Trauma Center in Alabama, UAB Hospital is equipped to handle any medical emergency.
- Our level IV Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is the only one of its kind in Alabama, caring for the sickest newborns in the state and region.
- UAB’s Comprehensive Transplant Center is a national leader in kidney transplants.
- The UAB Callahan Eye Hospital was the first level I ocular trauma center in the nation and is the only one in Alabama.