"People from all over the world come to UAB because they trust us and because we deliver on that trust. They understand the high level of care only a great academic institution can provide from the synergy of great biomedical research, comprehensive clinical care and education of the nation's brightest medical students. Our new buildings, unique services and cutting edge equipment are second to none, but the medical staff and employees are what separate UAB from the rest. Our medical staff is ranked by colleagues to be among the best, our nursing staff is recognized with Magnet distinction and all our employees strive to deliver care with attention to one patient at a time. To me and our patients, the UAB physicians and staff perform miracles every day."
-Will Ferniany, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, UAB Health System
The (University of Alabama at Birmingham) UAB Health System is an academic health center located in Birmingham, Alabama. At UAB, we pride ourselves on being the premier medical facility in the state and region, with healthcare professionals who are second to none. As one of U.S. News and World Report's Best Hospitals, UAB is a national leader in patient care, research and training. Medical facilities all over the country look to UAB to be a leader in medicine, and we deliver with state-of-the-art facilities, doctors at the top of their field of expertise and nurses and medical staff who go above and beyond for our patients every day.
UAB Hospital is the centerpiece of the UAB Health System. It was established in 1945 as the teaching hospital for the University of Alabama School of Medicine and, today, is one of the four largest academic medical centers in the United States. Situated among major research centers and clinics, UAB Hospital, provides patients with a complete range of primary and specialty care services, as well as the most up-to-date treatments and innovations in health care. As a University hospital, UAB Hospital is a major center for clinical research and the home of some of the top medical programs in America.
The UAB Difference
- UAB is the largest academic medical center in Alabama and one of the top four largest academic medical centers in the United States.
- Our state-of-the-art Cardiovascular Center is nationally ranked and provides the full spectrum of heart and vascular services.
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center provides cancer treatment and care and performs cutting edge cancer research.
- As the only adult level I trauma center in Alabama, UAB is equipped to handle any emergency for residents of the state.
- Our Level III Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is the only one of its kind in Alabama, caring for the sickest babies in the state and region.
- UAB's Comprehensive Transplant Center is a national leader in kidney transplants.